Friday, February 26, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I stopped by Bicycles Plus in Coppell before spin class last night at REI to get a new saddle for my bike. Those of you that know me know how much I love the guys at Bicycles Plus and not just because most of them are sexy in that skinny-jeans-granola-cycling sort of way, but because they are responsible for so many great things about my cycling bubble (cute shoes, red lollipop pedals, matching water bottle cages, a new stem, a trainer, bike rack, lights, computer, Road ID, eye candy… well you get the point). Of everything though, the eye candy- no- the saddle is the best thing to come from Bicycles Plus.


After sitting on a stool with what looked to be a bag of royal icing on the top so that the width of my back side could be determined, I had a very “that’s what she said” conversation regarding the benefit to having the right saddle (video coming this evening!) with Gabe. Apparently, the sit bones (butt bones, ischial tuberosity) are the part of the pelvic girdle you feel when you sit up straight on a firm surface. Well, whatever they are called, mine hurt like being the first girl kicked off the Flavor of Love. *tear*

I ended up with an amazing Bontrager women’s specific saddle that was sized to fit the specific width and curvatures of my business zone. The seat has a contour relief zone that fits “lady business” without causing hot spots. To up the excitement factor, Bontrager offers an unconditional comfort guarantee giving you thirty days to try out your saddle. I won’t be needing the guarantee though. Last night at spin class my sit bones finally stopped shrieking in horror and pain and I enjoyed a nice workout.

Until…

Be it the weather, the sinus infection, allergens, or the activity, I definitely had an asthma attack toward the end of spin. With arms raised above my head, sitting on the floor beside my bike, inhaler grasped firmly, I wheezed… and wheezed... and coughed… and wheezed. But, I was able to get things under control. I didn’t give in to the nebulizer that was calling my name. I got back on the bike and finished the workout.

Part of what makes training different for people with severe asthma is that moment when you have to make a decision. First- will your head let you finish? Second- will your body? I can control my mind and that is the most important part. With the help of a great pulmonologist, shots, inhalers, pills, and sprays, hopefully in the future, the second question won’t be an issue.

To help support the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, Donate here.

0 comments: